Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0018 is available as of 04-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Options

Functionality of multiple Registration Zones for an OMR Zone

I have an OMR Zone in my document. I added multiple Registration Zones for the OMR Zone. The OMR Zone is used to detect if a handwritten Applicant Date is filled in. I don't care what the value I just need to know if they scribbled something in the date field. I do this using a threshold on the zone.

I added multiple Registration Zones to the OMR Zone thinking that if one of the Registration Zones was not found, then Grooper would use the other one. 
If multiple were found then great use an average of  the found locations of them. In testing though I have found if the first Registration Zone is not found, but the second one is found the OMR Zone is not located on the document. On that same document if I delete the first Registration Zone, so it has to rely on the second zone it works great.

I need to look for multiple Registration Zones because sometimes the handwritten scribble is large and it goes over some of the text, thus rendering some of the OCR text invalid. Therefore I look for text above and below the zone, so I should be able to find at least one of them.

What is the expected functionality of multiple Registration Zones for an OMR Zone?

Answers

• Options
    rmccutcheonrmccutcheon Posts: 756 ✭✭✭
    Based on your scenario, Grooper should behave as you've described. Assuming multiple registration zones are configured for one OMR zone... If both registration zones find a positive match on a document, the OMR location should be averaged as you'd expect. If only one of the two registration zones finds a positive match, then it would behave as though the OMR zone only had one registration zone to begin with. It should not matter whether it is the first or second registration zone that finds a match in this case. It will leverage information from the one that matches. Testing this on our side, and it appears to be working as designed.
  • Options
    hjanumhjanum Posts: 110 ✭✭
    @rmccutcheon the functionality that you describe does not seem to work in my scenario.

1. I add one OMR Zone with two registration zones. 
    2. I run test where the first registration zone is not found, but the second zone is found. The OMR Zone has no region at run-time (is shown during testing) and therefore returns False. It should be true, as the area is shaded above the threshold.
    3. I remove the first registration zone from the configuration that is not found, so there is only one registration zone found that is found.
    4. I re-run the test on the same document. The OMR Zone now has a region at run-time (is shown during testing) and the result returns True as expected, as the area is shaded above the threshold.