Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0018 is available as of 04-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Options

Adjusting cores (logical processor count

I assume this has to be easy, but I cannot find how to change my number of logical processors to less than 8.
I'm in Grooper server config as an administrator, but I cannot find the setting.
Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    RandoCalrisianRandoCalrisian Posts: 195 admin
    edited January 2020
    You don't necessarily change the amount of logical processors to your system. You instead assign a specific amount to activities.
    There are a couple of ways to do this.

When you apply an activity to a Batch in Grooper via the Contents > Apply Activity object command, you can assign a Thread Count to the current activity.

If you're stepping through a Batch Process, and don't have Activity Processing services either installed or currently running you can still process those unattended steps in your process by pressing the Process button.  When you do this, the Grooper Unattended Client will pop up and process the step.  If you manually open the Grooper Unattended Client, you can change the Thread Count property.

Finally, when you install an Activity Processing service from Grooper Config, upon installing the service you can adjust the Number of Threads.

Now, this does make understanding Thread Pools necessary at this point. If you're not familiar with them, check out this Grooper Help File entry. If you need clarification from there, start a new post and we can discuss that there.

Randall Kinard
    rkinard@bisok.com

• Options
    opusopus Posts: 21
    I do not see the same interface that is shown above.  I'm on 2.8.
  • Options
    You don't assign threads to a Batch Process Step, which is what you have selected and are configuring. You do, however, assign which Thread Pool the Batch Process Step will use, but again, that's a different discussion. Batch Process Steps, and the activities they perform, are processed by either an Activity Processing Service, an Attended Client, or an Unattended Client.

Once you've configured your Batch Process Step, published the Batch Process, and have a Batch that is leveraging that Batch Process, and then you attempt to process that step (and don't have an Activity Processing service running) THEN the Unattended Client will run. When it runs this way, as a result of a Batch Process Step calling it to run the step, you cannot configure the Unattended Client. It will use the settings given to it from the last time you manually opened the Unattended Client, made changes to properties, and closed the application.
    Randall Kinard
    rkinard@bisok.com

• Options
    opusopus Posts: 21
    Wow.  That is a mouthful.  I guess this means I have to have this setup prior to publishing my my batch process.  So, I need to unpublish, back it down and then set the cores?
  • Options
    edited January 2020
    First of all are you familiar with object commands that let you apply activities to Batches on the fly? If not, let me know and I can clarify.
    Also, I forgot something...

On a Batch Process Step you can use the Unattended Activity Tester, and when you Process All, it will launch a window that allows you to apply multiple threads to the command.

Keep in mind, this is not setting the threads for this step.  This is simply a tester.

Randall Kinard
    rkinard@bisok.com

• Options
    You can apply activities on the fly to a Batch or its documents and pages at any time with object commands.  If you select a Batch and go to its Batch Viewer you can do a couple of things.  First you can apply an activity to an individual object. When you do this, any of the activities you run will be single threaded.

To apply activities to an entire Batch, and take advantage of multi-threading, first select a Batch, then click the Batch Viewer tab (the following can be done from any Batch Viewer pane you encounter). Then right click the Batch Folder, not a sub object like a Document or Page. From there go to Contents > Apply Activity... This will open the Contents • Apply Activity window, and there you can adjust threads.

Randall Kinard
    rkinard@bisok.com