Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0016 is available as of 03-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.

Adding machines to share compute

I am trying to add a machine in Grooper to share compute to speed up OCR. I can get the machine added but not sure what to do next. Haven't been able to find anything on xChange or through the Help in Grooper. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Machine OKCSTBIR01 added

Connected to machine OCKSTBIR01

My machine

Answers

• jlunsfordjlunsford Posts: 138 mod
    It looks like you need to add a thread of OCR to the new machine.  This is done in Grooper configuration, by adding a new service.
  • JeffJeff Posts: 189 mod
    Ok, did that. Now how do I get my machine to see that new service on the other machine?
    edited April 2019
    Do the machine have to be physically linked together? I'm trying with my laptop and a VM
  • GrooperGuruGrooperGuru Posts: 481 admin
    1. Login to the machine you want to run the new OCR processing service.
    2. Open Grooper Config and ensure that you have added your repository here.
    3. Go to the Services tab. At the top right corner, make sure that repository is the one currently selected.
    4. Add a new Activity Processing Service.
    5. Configure the service with an appropriate number of threads (no more than the number of cores on this machine). You will need to point it to the thread pool you have specified in the OCR activity of the relevant Batch Process.
    6. Start the service and you should be off and running.
    Matt Harrison
    Product Manager
    mharrison@bisok.com
    I have apparently done something wrong. I used the steps you gave me and everything looked like it was working but once I opened Grooper on the machine that will be using the service, everything in that repository has been cleared out. All process, content models, etc. in Design Studio are gone. In Grooper Config, all services associated with that repository are also gone. Its like when I added the repository in the VM it deleted everything out of the repository I was referencing on my laptop.
  • rmccutcheonrmccutcheon Posts: 756 ✭✭✭
    I just did this from two separate machines using 2.72 and mine worked without anything disappearing or being deleted. 
    I must have added the repository to the wrong machine. 
    I was wanting to use CPU from a VM so I added the repository from my laptop to the VM. After it was successfully added, it asked me to Initialize so I did. Not sure if that's what got me or not.
    I tried again with another laptop instead of the VM and I connected to the repository but wasn't asked to Initialize.
    Not really sure how I messed up.
  • rmccutcheonrmccutcheon Posts: 756 ✭✭✭
    Did everything come back though? If you had a machine that was already initialized Grooper should not have asked you to Initialize it. 
    Nope. It's all gone. Would initializing on the VM cause everything in my repository on my laptop to reset?
  • jlunsfordjlunsford Posts: 138 mod
    This sounds like something you need to call support for someone to take a look at this issue
  • GrooperGuruGrooperGuru Posts: 481 admin
    Jeff said:
    Nope. It's all gone. Would initializing on the VM cause everything in my repository on my laptop to reset?
    You shouldn't have needed to initialize anything. Your repository already existed. If you added a new repository connection and entered your server/database info, it should have connected and been ready for use. Initialization is only for brand new repositories that do not yet have a table structure in SQL and the base files in the file store.
    Matt Harrison
    Product Manager
    mharrison@bisok.com