Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0016 is available as of 03-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.

What is the best way to publish a batch to a non-local machine?

kylesouzakylesouza Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
Here's what I'd like to accomplish smoothly (I can already do it not-smoothly pretty well): Take a batch that has reached a certain step and publish it to a new repository to complete.
Ideally, this repository resides on a machine that is not part of our domain and running its own MSSQL service.
Kyle Souza
Data Wizard
P&P Oil & Gas Solutions

Answers

• dearnerdearner Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    Kyle - can you connect to the non-local repository over the network? i.e. can you add it as a Grooper repository on the machine you're trying to publish from?
  • kylesouzakylesouza Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    Not at this time.  Would that be a necessity?
    Kyle Souza
    Data Wizard
    P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
    Not a necessity.  If you can connect, though, Grooper's got a batch step called "Batch Transfer" that does what you're talking about - publishing a batch to a separate repository to continue processing.  That's probably your best bet for a smooth batch transfer.  Out of curiosity, how are you doing it right now?
    Exporting the batch process to zip, transferring it over, and importing it.
    Let me see if I can get it so that I can connect to the second repo from the first.
    Kyle Souza
    Data Wizard
    P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
    When you add a Grooper database in Grooper Config, does it used TCP or UDP?
    Kyle Souza
    Data Wizard
    P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
    edited September 2020
    Well, connecting to a remote repository (or any repository) is really doing two things: connecting to the SQL server that houses the repository DB, and connecting to the filestore associated with that repository. 

As for SQL, that depends on your configuration, but MS has a list of the ports at https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/sql-server/install/configure-the-windows-firewall-to-allow-sql-server-access?view=sql-server-ver15#:~:text=Ports Used By the Database,named instance uses dynamic ports

And for the file store: i'd imagine you'd have to mount it as an SMB share (Grooper's only requirement is that it be accessible through the windows filesystem); the ports that uses are available at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/298804/internet-firewalls-can-prevent-browsing-and-file-sharing .
    edited September 2020
    Okay, I got some stuff figured out, but when i try to publish to the repository I am now getting these errors for the Batch and the Working Process respectively:

This leads me to believe that there is a permissions issue.  I am connecting the the SQL Server database using SQL Authentication, but did set up a credential to a local admin account - which should give it the file creation permissions it needs..

Has this been run into before?  If so, what did I do next?  Is there a more detailed error log that shows me more than just this message text?
    Kyle Souza
    Data Wizard
    P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
    @dearner, maybe I need to understand the file store better.  Where can I learn more?
    Kyle Souza
    Data Wizard
    P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
    There's actually a good article on this in the wiki, over Grooper Infrastucture: https://wiki.grooper.com/index.php?title=Grooper_Infrastructure.  The short version of it is, though: for a given Grooper object (node, batch, etc.) there is always a database entry and sometimes associated filestore items (these include batch content, files produced by processes like image processing, e.g. LayoutData.json, etc.).  

The errors you're getting above look to me like you don't have write / create permission on the filestore.