Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0016 is available as of 03-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.

An Inquiry Regarding Ordered Arrays

kylesouzakylesouza Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
This is a question about "Why" instead of "How".

Let's say I have a couple of lines like:
ABC 123 DSA
ABC -111 HGF

So I create three extractors and capture everything except for the "-" in the second column of the second line, but the "111" is returned as an extractor result.
When I put these three extractors into an ordered array, the first line will return fine, but the second line doesn't have a result.
Why not return two results since every extractor is finding "something" in the right order?
ABC 123 DSA
ABC 111 HGF

Kyle Souza
Data Wizard
P&P Oil & Gas Solutions
Tagged:

Answers

• dgreenwooddgreenwood Posts: 112 admin
    Kyle,

Just to make sure I'm understanding you right.  You have a Data Type with three child extractors:

1st:  Uses a regex like [A-Z]{3}
    2nd: Uses a regex like [0-9]{3}
    3rd: Uses a regex like [A-Z]{3}

On the parent Data Type, you enable Ordered Array Collation and set it to "Horizontal" layout.  But you only get the first line as a result and not both?  I would also expect you to get two results.  Something like the result in the screenshot below.

As long as each child extractor produces a result, and those results are aligned on the page one after the other in the sequential order they execute (ie from top to bottom as children extractors of a Data Type), you should indeed get multiple results.  Ordered Arrays are commonly used in Row Match table extraction for just this reason.  If you can make a Data Type where each child extractor matches one cell of a column after the other, you've effectively modeled the table's row structure.  But you have to return multiple results for each row in order to populate the whole table's information right?  If it only returned one result for one row, it wouldn't be of much use.

I would think there's something funky going on with your extractor.  Is one of the child extractors failing to produce a result?   Or is one extractor consuming part of the text from the next element of the array? (For example, if the first extractor returned "ABC-1" and the second returned "111", the two results would overlap.  Ordered array assumes you're looking for distinct non-overlapping results.)  Last you might check your Layout settings to make sure the alignment isn't off.

Let me know if that helps, or if I'm totally off base and haven't answered your question let me know.
  • GrooperGuruGrooperGuru Posts: 481 admin
    Are you using a Flow-Based array? Can you post up your configuration?
    Matt Harrison
    Product Manager
    mharrison@bisok.com