Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0016 is available as of 03-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.

Non-visible calculated fields

In our Grooper 2.72 configuration, we have a number of calculated fields that are used for Database and Document. I have found that when I set 'Visible=false' on the calculated fields the value is not being populated. We would like to hide these fields in the Data Review screen, as users do not need to see these (they are read-only anyway). 

The fields are common for all document types, so they show up at the top of the indexing screen in Data Review, so users have to scroll past them to see the indexing fields of the document types they are doing Date Review on.

The relevant field properties are:
  • Visible=false
  • Calculate Expression=<the calculated value>
  • Calculate Mode=AlwaysSet
Is there a way to make 'Visible=false' fields calculate?

Answers

• jlunsfordjlunsford Posts: 138 mod
    This issue is resolved in Grooper 2.8. What minor build are you on?
  • hjanumhjanum Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Grooper 2.72.0031
    This issue has been submitted as a bug.
    The developers have stated that this is working as intended. They recommend setting fields that should not be altered to read only.
  • hjanumhjanum Posts: 110 ✭✭
    My original issue was:

In our Grooper 2.72 configuration, we have a number of calculated fields that are used for Database and Document. I have found that when I set 'Visible=false' on the calculated fields the value is not being populated.

This may be 'as intended' but it is not very end user friendly.

As mentioned we have quite a few calculated fields that are common for sub-document types, so they show up at the top of the indexing screen in the Grooper Data Review.

The fields are used for document and data exports in Grooper. Below you can see the calculated fields in the red box that users have to see because we cannot hide them. If we hid them the values would not be calculated. Most of the fields will not mean anything to users as they are Batch Id, Document Id, Calculated server export path etc. If we hide the fields then the values are not calculated, so users have to scroll past all the technical gobbledygook in the red box to get to the fields they care about (and can modify) in the green box.

Further down we also have calculated fields such as Full Name that is used for exports. The Full Name is a combination of extracted fields First, Middle, Last Name, and Suffix. We have to show the field on the form (and make it read-only), because if it was just a hidden calculated field, then the value would not be calculated. We don't really need users to see the Full Name as they cannot change it anyways. They need to correct the extracted fields 
    First, Middle, Last Name, and Suffix. The Grooper configuration will take care of generating the Full Name based on those.

I would like to hide my calculated fields as users do not really need to see them.