Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0018 is available as of 04-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Options

Best practices for referencing resources

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited March 2023 in The Astronauts (Q&A)
I have many Content Models, each with many Document Types. Most of them are derivatives from another, so they all share plenty of extractors, which currently are being referenced on Global Resources.

I wondered what is the best practice regarding common extractors.
  • Add them to Global Resources, and let all the Content Model reference them?
  • Add them to the Content Model's Local Resources, and make each Content Model reference its copy?
  • Add them to the Document Type's Local Resources, and make each Document Type reference its copy?
The last two options (specially the last one) will generate a massive duplication of data, but will ensure that when I export a Content Model/Document Type, everything is self-contained.

What are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• Options
    jspraguejsprague Posts: 10
    ACDAdfitech,

As a best practice I would keep the extractors in a centralized location (inside the content model local resources folder). Also using naming conventions on objects within Grooper is also a great idea. Using naming conventions, like a prefix, will help you understand what objects do in that current model and can make troubleshooting issues inside of Grooper easier to track.  Here is a webpage regarding Asset Management for Grooper with best practices that will help you with this. 

https://wiki.grooper.com/index.php?title=Asset_Management

Here is an example of how to name a feature extractor:

Type                                                                  Prefix                                 Example

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2023
    @jsprague

And when I need to copy the Document Type to another (possibly new) Content Model, the references will point to the old Content Model's Local Resources? That's the situation I have right now, and it's caused a few issues when deleting or exporting Content Models.

Thank you for the suggestion for naming the assets. I'll start using it.