Grooper 21.00.0082 is available as of 12-12-2023! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.00.0042 is available as of 03-22-2024! Check the Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 23.1.0018 is available as of 04-15-2024! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Options

Why does a Data Field using a database look-up have to have visible set as true to populate

lbellipannilbellipanni Posts: 130 ✭✭
edited October 2018 in The Astronauts (Q&A)
I have a data field that is using a database look up to populate 4 data fields.  When the Visible Property is set to true it works.  When it is set to false it does not populate the fields. 
Version 2.70.0019.   I want the field to be invisible because it is a copy of another data field in the data model.  I am doing this so that I can perform two database look-ups  to populate data fields stored in two different tables both containing the look-up data field.

Comments

• Options
    rmccutcheonrmccutcheon Posts: 756 ✭✭✭
    @dlittle is this the same thing that Brad had asked us about hidden fields not firing expressions? Here is the link to Brads bug

• Options
    dlittledlittle Posts: 39 ✭✭✭

The answer is similar to Brad's posting.

DataBase lookups fire when Validation is called for a field on which the db lookup is configured. The result of validation (and thereby db lookups) can set a field to 'invalid'. If a hidden field is invalid, the index panel and thereby Attended Client will indicate a problem to the user, but the user will have no way to view or correct the problem.

Ergo, some of my answers you will understand, and some of them you will not. Concordantly, while your first question may be the most pertinent, you may or may not realize it is also the most irrelevant.