Reminder! Until the end of the month, our Learning Track over Advanced Normalization is unlocked and available to all Grooper xChange users!
Grooper 2.80.0043 is now available! Check the  Downloads Discussion for the release notes and to get the latest version.
Grooper 2.90.0051 is now available! Check the  Downloads Discussion  for the release notes and to get the latest version.

Grid Extractor - How To Identify Row Headers

Does someone have an example of how to configure a Grid extractor for a table?  I am trying to understand how to define the X and Y extractors.  

I am trying to improve a table extraction where values in some columns are missing (meaning there is nothing printed on the document).  I have made some of the data groups variable, but since I do not know which columns might be blank the row extractor does not seem to be the best option.

For example:
Column1     Column2     Column3     Column4
Date            Item             Cost            Comments
1/1/18          WidgetA       $23.00        Outdoor Rated
1/2/18                               $45.00       Not In Stock
1/3/18           Widget B                        Not for Sale
1/4/18           Widget C     -$10.00       Refund Amount
1/5/18           WidgetA      $23.00       
1/6/18            WidgetA     $23.00        Enjoy

Thanks

Answers

• GrooperGuruGrooperGuru Posts: 465 admin
    I'm glad you've brought up this discussion. This is a common problem in table extraction that are row-based logic is not designed to handle elegantly. There are a few options that MAY work in your scenario, though the configuration is pretty difficult to explain. The shortest answer is... this is a MAJOR enhancement in the upcoming version of Grooper (2.7). We will have new methods for capturing table data that are based on horizontal/vertical cross sectioning. These will use header extractors to understand the X position of columns. Then row extractors to find the Y location of the data. For now, I'm going to PM you a short powerpoint that explains these new features. We will soon have a full article in x Change, but it is a very big topic to cover.

For now, I may have some workarounds. Do you have time this morning for a 15 minute call?
    Matt Harrison
    Director of Strategy
    [email protected]